Pages

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Rain


 

           If I had to pick reoccurring symbols in my life aside from tea, fish, and hair, one of them would for sure be rain.  I’d like to think that if I were a type of weather I’d be rain. I like the way rain is multi dimensional, it is cold and wet, yet soft and sweet, and raw and refreshing. I love the way it renews the earth, and how after a good downpour life glistens in a sort of foggy dew of reaffirmed peace. I like the way the world gets really quiet while it rains, and how no matter where I am or what is going on, when it rains I feel a little more special, like that particular day is something out of a good movie. All good movies have one dramatic in the rain scene. I just like the smell of the rain, and the way it sends the wind blowing, and the big dramatic clouds roll in and make the world a little darker. I love the way flowers look when they are covered in raindrops, and I love the way it feels when I walk through the streets holding an umbrella.

            Some of my fondest childhood memories are running around in the pouring rain out on the golf course, sliding down the wet hills on bogey boards, or playing games with my sister about who could wade the furthest out in the ditch without getting pulled away in the current. I remember the time I walked the dog all the way out to the edge of the bayou and I was watching someone’s boat bob around out on the water, when all of a sudden the skies opened up and I got dumped on. I remember how within seconds I was drenched down to my underwear, and how my matted hair had snarled as I’d run home to get back to a warm dry house. I don’t like being wet, but I adore the feeling of raindrops on my face. I remember the cozy days when it would rain for weeks on end, with only a slight pause in between the storms and how I’d take residence in our formal living room  that allegedly had a ghost, with the big double doors shut, and I’d nestle in the armchair with the curtains around me as a blanket and read book after book without end. I love the way thunder sounds when I am falling asleep, like a gentle giant as I snuggle into my duvet.

No comments:

Post a Comment