Pages

Monday, February 3, 2014

Typical Tuesday- I'm Like Totally a Sorority Girl Now

As far as I can tell from my six month stint as a Texas resident, the only three things that anyone can be sure about around here is that the weather will change every single day, saying "bless your heart" will never be a sentiment of endearment, and when it comes to college, greek life dominates. The tour guides try to say otherwise, throwing out statistics to try and make people feel like going to school here isn't just about sorority and frat row. I was warned, but I didn't believe what they said. What did someone mean when they said greek life would be all in my face? That seemed like something a bitter GDI would say. Then I spent the entire first semester watching the older girls wear their pins and jerseys, sit together in classes, and go to all the cool events. It seemed like one giant exclusive party, and I could only stand and press my face up to the window and hope some day I would be put on the invite list.

Then recruitment happened, and it was one of the strangest weeks of my life. Why do my Rho Gammas always look constipated? Why do they insist on calling me PNM #33? What does give your heart to Chi O and she'll give it back to you even mean? My experience wasn't anything out of the horror stories you hear through the grape vine, but I'm here to say it happens. There should be a correction to that hackneyed saying: all's fair in love and war- and rush. Somehow I made it through the process in one piece, with only two.. okay, maybe three hysterical meltdowns. Rush is just like that though. It gets in your head and you feel this insatiable urge to be everything you think you deserve to be. Everyone says you end up where you are supposed to, and for better or worse maybe that's true. Even if it doesn't work out how you thought, I like to believe that there was an upper hand guiding you home. The truth is though, if you end up in a house, it's hard to not feel the connection when you're being showered in gifts and told how much everyone loves you. The brainwashing is real. I don't know if that's the best way to phrase it though. To me it feels like stepping across the threshold into that exclusive party, and after you enter you never can go back. Nobody on the outside really can understand, and it's beyond explanation. Sorority life is simply ineffable.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! Love this post and I'm so glad you chose Alpha Chi to be your home away from home! LITB :)
    Kate
    justkatea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete